Monday, March 18, 2013

Meet My New Best Friend

I can't believe my last post was way back in December.  It's definitely time for an update.  So here it is.  For my three loyal readers, wherever you are...
Mom's having a great deal of trouble remembering to take her meds.  When she first moved into her apartment she was used to taking meds twice a day and was very regular in doing so.  But lately we've kept a closer watch and find that she's skipping doses, and even scarier, doubling up occasionally.  I took over filling the compartments so she couldn't tell me she'd taken them all when, in fact, she just hadn't refilled the thing.  When that didn't help, I started calling her morning and evening to remind her.  She bristled at that.  But now she's on a blood thinner, and it's important she take it properly.  Soooooo we bought her a new toy.  The dispenser we bought has an opaque cover and a LOCK.  I only have to fill it every two weeks.  When the time is up, an annoying alarm sounds and the box rotates the next set of meds into place.  All she has to do is dump them out into her hand and the box resets itself to go off the next time.  So far it is working 100%.  She doesn't hate it nearly as much as she hated me calling her.  After checking up on her a couple of times I felt like doing a little jig around the kitchen "It's working..It's working..."  At least for now she can stay independent.

No comments: