Thursday, August 30, 2007

School has started

Well, Tuesday was my first day back to class. My group is small still - only 19 students so far. But our school has a pattern of gaining several students in each grade the week after Labor day. So I'll have to wait and see. It could be a problem if we don't pick up a few more, because that is definitely too few kids for a fifth grade classroom in Utah. They could potentially move me to another grade or create a split. Well, no use worrying about something that hasn't happened yet.

This year I have four different languages - Tibetan, Spanish, English, and Somali. I have a student who was home schooled until this year, one that just started school of any sort last year, and one that has been seriously abused. One child should probably be in a self contained class for behavioral disorders. I've been told to document all difficult behavior so we can get some help. It's shaping up to be a challenging year.

Life in the fast lane!

2 comments:

Kim C said...

Sounds like it's going to be a tough year. Good luck! And I'm happy to grade homework as soon as I'm not in evening group almost every night.

Stine said...

Wow, that is a lot going on just in the first week. It sounds very difficult, but I bet nothing better could happen to those kids than to be in your classroom. You have a lot to give them.