Thursday, December 18, 2008

Credit Union Day

Every year at Lincoln five hundred little miracles happen. A local credit union takes the names and wishes of every one of our students. They fill a tree with ornaments listing what the children want, then they and their customers adopt each child and buy gifts from their wish lists. On the day before we leave for Christmas break they bring all the gifts over to the school and we have a giant opening party. Each grade goes into the gym where presents are passed out and opened. There's lots of squealing, lots of paper tearing, lots of mess, and lots of joy. I've had children ask for everything from roller blades to baby dolls. The ones that break your heart are the kids who ask for blankets, or coats, shoes and socks. Sometimes they will ask for something to share with a baby brother or sister. One child in my friend's class asked for a bed. Really. The family had no furniture. They were literally sleeping on the hard floor with just a blanket. We found a bed for them and realized when it was delivered just how incredibly poor they were. For some of these kids the things they got today will be the only things they get. Well, excuse me now, I feel like adding to my "I'm Thankful" list. At least I have a bed, a blanket, and food on the table.

Merry Christmas, Friends.

2 comments:

Stine said...

Wow, that's a great reminder. Maybe I should adopt an angel.

Andrea said...

I love your post.