Wednesday, June 10, 2009

School's Out for the Summer

Isn't that a song? The kids left yesterday at about 12:45. Well, more like 12:40 since I heard the wrong bell and let them loose. This group bolted for the door and most didn't look back. I forget that when it's a hard year for me it's often a hard year for them as well. Meanwhile, my partner across the way spent fifteen minutes after school crying and hugging her group. Don't know which is worse - hating to see them go or having them hate to stay. Next year there will be only two fifth grade classes, so we each have about 30 students. That's a huge increase over the 18 I had this year. I'll miss the calm that a small class brings. The most rotten part is that the classes could get bigger and there would be nothing we could do. Once the number of teachers is set it takes an atom bomb to make the district change anything, even if it's blatently obvious something NEEDS changing. Still, I have a whole two months to recover (Yeah, it's the 10th and I go back on August 12th or so. Though school doesn't start for kids until later in the month.)

2 comments:

Bomb said...

Huzzah! School's out school's out! It's party time!

Stine said...

So they're doubling your workload next year? I hope you are going to the beach for the next two months straight!