Saturday, April 26, 2008

Too Bad They Don't Make 'em Anymore


We bought this car:
1995 Camry Wagon. They don't make the wagon anymore. Too bad, because my cousin, Andrea, is expecting her third and is lamenting the need to upsize her vehicle. No minivans for her. I loved my Camry wagon. It was the first new car I ever bought. And I picked it out myself. We got it because we had three kids, so I can relate. I got stopped everywhere I went, "Is that new? What kind is it?" for years people would ask. My oldest son is still driving it. This photo was taken today. It still looks kinda spiffy, no? But since they don't make 'em what's a non-minivan mom to do?

Today on my way home I saw this:
Volvo XC90. Not cheap. But it will hold 7 people. I actually was following one that had two little boys in the far back. It reminded me of Andrea's lament. It comes as all wheel drive, too, which I would have loved.

We ended up buying a Honda van for Mike in 2000. It has many advantages, including better gas mileage than an SUV and lots of cargo flexibility. So I guess I would just go for the van and secretly pretend it was a sports car as I drove it to the store and to little league. Ah, the sacrifices a mom has to make sometimes. Sigh.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

i love the volvo! i secretly want a mini-van but christine and aimee give me grief about it.

Welfymom said...

Don't let them do that! I love Mike's minivan. It's versatile, comfortable and quiet. It's easier to get in to and out of and it's higher than much surrounding traffic, so it's a safer drive for me. Plus, there are all those cup holders...