Thursday, August 14, 2008

Abundance

Anybody Want Some???
While we don't have this many, we have way too many summer and zucchini squash. Those tiny plants I started from seeds in March were just so cute I couldn't resist planting them all. Now I have so many squash we can't possibly eat them all. I've given all I can to neighbors and friends. At least school starts next week and the excess will disappear like snow in July if I leave it out in the faculty room.

My favorite new thing from the garden - cucumbers! I've never planted them before. The two little plants I put in the ground have produced several large cucumbers which I've pickled immediately and we've eaten already. I expected we'd can some, but probably not. The refrigerator pickles are easy and good, so who cares!

So far we've had a handful of lovely baby potatoes, two or three batches of green beans, many many squash, the cucumbers, and a few tomatoes. We have yet to see any eggplant or corn, though there are some coming on. And the tomatoes just aren't doing as well this year as they did last. By this time last year we had harvested at least 100 tomatoes. We had about 400 total last year. (Yes, Mike counts them.) Well, I hope we have a late frost. Maybe we can catch up.

2 comments:

Stine said...

Have you tried cutting the squash and zucchini the long way, putting a little marinade on them and then grilling them? We eat them all summer long that way.

Welfymom said...

That's one thing Mike hasn't barbecued. I should have him try it.